Saturday 25 January 2014

First Philosophy Club

I came into HSC on 28/01 to run the very fist philosophy club. It was really exciting. I'd been to the school twice before but this was the first time I had run the club so I wansnt exactly sure of what to expect.

Lots of students came which was really great. I love philosophy so it was nice to see that the students were intrested too.

We watched 2 clips of Dr Who. This sparked discussion about what a person's indentity depends on. In Dr Who the body of the doctor changes but he is still the doctor. We wondered if  this was possible?

Some people thought it wasnt really possible, beacuse what matters for your identity is the physical stuff, like the body or maybe the brain. (I think this was Sam and Ben?).

I asked the students what would happen if somone cut my brain out of my body and put it into Molly's body. Would that then be me, Molly, or neither?

People really disagreed on this point, with about half the class voting yes and half voting no.

Some people said it would depend on if my soul had been put into Molly's body too.

Others thought it depended my memories or maybe my personality, or maybe both.

We were all left thinking a lot and still a bit puzzled as to the answers, but I think that is a good thing!

We also talked about how to run the philosophy club. One worry is about if we should make people put their hands up before speaking. Some said yes, because this means it can be more fair and everyone gets a chance to speak. Some said no, beacuse it is hard to make the conversation flow properly. We will do some experimenting to see what works best.

We also talked about possible future topics for our club. I was really glad to see so much exictiment for philosophy. Some future topics might be:
 - Miracles
-What is the soul?
-Do animals have souls?
-Colour (what colour is a mirror?)
-Perception
-Language and learning language
-Rules and society
-Dreams

Overall I had a lot of fun and I hope the students did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment